Christopher W. Damsgaard, MD
Specializing in Hip & Knee Replacement
Dr. Damsgaard is a Board-Certified and fellowship-trained orthopaedic joint reconstruction surgeon.
His primary clinical interests include total joint arthroplasty (anterior total hip, unicompartmental knee arthroplasty, robotic surgery, complex primary and revision total hip and knee arthroplasty).
Learn More About Dr. Damsgaard:
Dr. Damsgaard's Team
- Physician Extender: Roderick Mao PA-C (View Full Page)
Primary and revision hip and knee replacements; minimally invasive surgical options, including direct anterior total hip arthroplasty and unicompartmental knee arthroplasty; and complex revisions for infection and fracture.
Mako Smart Robotics:
Dr. Damsgaard is trained on the Mako SmartRobotics™ system, an innovative solution for many suffering from painful arthritis of the knee or hip. Mako uses 3D CT-based planning software so your surgeon can know more about your anatomy to create a personalized joint replacement surgical plan. This 3D model is used to preplan and assist in performing your joint replacement procedure.
How Does It Work?
In the operating room, your surgeon follows your personalized surgical plan while preparing the bone for the implant. The surgeon guides Mako’s robotic arm within the predefined area, and Mako’s AccuStop™ technology helps the surgeon stay within the planned boundaries that were defined when the personalized preoperative plan was created. By guiding your doctor during surgery, Mako’s AccuStop™ technology allows your surgeon to cut less by cutting precisely what’s planned to help protect your healthy bone.
It’s important to understand that the surgery is performed by an orthopaedic surgeon, who guides Mako’s robotic arm during the surgery to position the implant in the knee and hip joints. Mako SmartRobotics™ does not perform surgery, make decisions on its own or move without the surgeon guiding it. Mako SmartRobotics™ also allows your surgeon to make adjustments to your plan during surgery as needed.
Training & Education
- New England Baptist Hospital, 2016-2017
- Fellow, Adult Reconstructive Surgery
- Clinical Instructor, Orthopaedic Surgery, Tufts University School of Medicine
- Tufts Medical Center 2011-2016
- Resident, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Clinical Associate, Orthopaedic Surgery, Tufts University School of Medicine
- Drexel University College of Medicine, 2011
- Philadelphia, PA, M.D.
- Solo WILDERNESS AND EMERGENCY MEDICINE SCHOOL, 2006
- Conway, N
- Wilderness Emergency Medical Technicia
- Combined EMT training with Wilderness First Responder training
- Williams College, 2006
- Bachelor of Arts, History with an Asian concentration
- Orthopaedic Surgeon – Geisinger Medical Center 2017-2020
- Clinical Assistant Professor,Orthopaedic Surgery,Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
- Unit Medical Director,GeisingerOrthopaedic Surgery and Care Center
Memberships & Certifications
- Medical Society Memberships
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons – Fellow
- Massachusetts Medical Society – Since 2011
- American Medical Association – Since 2008
- Licensure and Certifications
- ABOS Part II Examination, Passed 2019
- ABOS Part I Examination, Passed 2016
- Medical License, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, May 2017 to present
- Medical License, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, July 2016 to present
Research & Publications
Research and Presentations
- Damsgaard CW, Gad BV, Bono OJ, Anderson MC, Brown JM, Bono JV, Talmo CT. “Intraoperative Proximal Tibia Periprosthetic Fractures in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty.” J Knee Surg (2020)
- Lecture, “Medial Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty” Central PA Joint Replacement Symposium, Hershey, PA, 2/8/2020
- Bono OJ, Damsgaard C, Robbins C, Aghazadeh M, Talmo CT, Bono JV. “Influence of Soft Tissue Preservation in Total Hip Arthroplasty, A 16 Year Experience.”. Surg Technol Int 33 (2018): 301-307
- Dwyer MK, Damsgaard CW, Wadibia J, Wong G, Lazar DJ, Smith EL, Talmo CT, Bedair HS. “Laboratory Tests for Diagnosis of Chronic Periprosthetic Joint Infection Can Help Predict Outcomes of Two Stage Exchange.” J Bone Joint Surg Am 100.12 (2018): 1009-1015
- Moderator of paper presentation session at Susquehanna Adult Reconstruction Society 2018 Annual meeting, Harrisburg, PA 5/5/2018
- Paper presentation, “Intraoperative Proximal Tibia Fractures in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty”, Damsgaard CW, Gad B, Pinkos K, Brown JM, Robbins, C, Bono JV, Talmo CT at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting New Orleans 3/6/2018
- Paper presentation, “Laboratory Tests for Diagnosis Can Also Predict Outcomes of Two Stage Exchange in Chronic Periprosthetic Joint Infection”, Dwyer M, Damsgaard CW, Wadibia J, Wong G, Lazar DJ, Smith EL, Talmo CT, Bedair HS, at American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting New Orleans 3/6/2018
- Lecture, “Antibiotic Laden Bone Cement” Central PA Joint Replacement Symposium, Hershey, PA, 2/10/2018
- Poster presentation, “Intraoperative Proximal Tibia Fractures in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty”, Damsgaard CW, Gad B, Pinkos K, Brown JM, Robbins, C, Bono JV, Talmo CT at NEBH Research Symposium 6/14/2017
- Poster presentation, “Tissue Preserving Total Hip Arthroplasty, Comparing Tissue Damage in Superior and Anterior Approaches”, Hayden BL, Damsgaard CW, Talmo CT, Murphy SB at NEBH Research Symposium 6/14/2017
- Grand Rounds Lecture, “Antibiotic Laden Bone Cement” New England Baptist Hospital Grand Rounds, 2/15/2017
- Podium presentation, “Multicenter Investigation Evaluating Preoperative Prediction of Failure Prior to Joint Implantation for Two Stage Revision for Infection” Damsgaard CW, Wong G, Lazar DJ, Talmo CT, Smith EL, Bedair HS at Tibby Days Tufts Medical Center Dept of Orthopaedics 6/10/2016
- Lecture, “Management of the Bleeding Pelvis” New England Fracture Forum, 5/6/2016
- Paper presentation, “Joint Replacement Surgery, Does Day of Surgery Matter?” Damsgaard CW, Pugliano V, Cassidy C, Matzkin E, Smith EL at Masschusetts Orthopaedics Association 5/14/2014
- Jakoi A, O’Neill C, Damsgaard C, Fehring K, and Tom J. “Sports hernia in National Hockey League players: does surgery affect performance?” Am J of Sports Med 41.1 (2013): 107-110
- Himalayan Health Exchange to Himachal Pradesh, India – July 2008
- Part of a team providing free medical care to rural villages in the Himalayas.
- Surgicorps International to Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam – November 2006
- Part of a team performing cleft lip and palate and burn surgeries on children.